Sunday, July 29, 2007

Today, part four of our series of the agonizing pain in which I live...

This blog won't be the same without the usual dose of angst.

But before we get to that, I feel it is my duty to tell you what I think about The Simpsons Movie (% on the biiig screeen %). The bottom line is, I like it because it feels like a movie unlike the usual problems that plague TV-to-movie ventures. Of course, you can't please everybody who's watched some of the 400 (and counting) TV episodes, spanning almost two decades. I felt there was a lot lacking, as a matter of fact, but I also thought it was forgivable. Sooooo, quick switch to the lists:

[Here be spoilers]

Things that I like:
  • The gags
  • The homage/nods to the fans
  • The self-referential humour
  • The pop culture references
Things that were OK:
  • Plot was OK. Nothing groundbreaking.
  • Characters who were involved (more on this later)
  • Using 3D animation ala Futurama, which, I maintain, is the only true logical and underrated successor to the show.
  • Shallow sight gags
Aaaand, to the Things that were bad/disappointing:
  • Mr. Burns' cameo-ish role
  • The story, in my opinion, could have been taken a lot further
  • Not the Best. Movie. Ever.
Recommendation: Go watch it... in 2-D!

--

Anyway, angst, angst. I'm twenty seven years old and I still have angst attacks. Around this age, my parents had already married and are about to have their first child. My sister had her first kid last month, not counting Christopher Dominic (God rest his soul). And I, I only have angst.

What's the difference between them and me? For one thing, they've got it all figured out, so to speak. While I (still) don't have a clue what to do and what to make of this life. What is it that makes you happy? or successful? or wealthy? or healthy? or content? Is it money? An acronym for a title? Friends? Family? Loved ones? Respect? Dignity? Recognition? Fame? Fortune? Enlightenment? Accumulation of knowledge? Broadening the mind?

The problem, of course, with life, is that it gives you a lot of choices and that sometimes choosing one path effectively seals all others. The worst case being, not being able to decide at all what you want.

Which is where I'm headed at this point.

There's that nagging feeling that I'm not good at what I do, even if that's the only thing I know how to do. Or at least, I won't be the best at what I do. So what now? Change careers? Move countries? Adjust anew? Keep running?

I mean, what's the point? [This is the typical angst question, by the way]

But let's turn this on its head. Who is the happiest person you know (or know of), and why? I'm dying to find out. If possible, none of the religious type people and deities.

--

Postscript:

There's a good chance I've been hit by angst because I've only just recently watched Cars. While this movie is not at all about finding out what you want, it touches on how wrong we usually are in thinking about what matters in life. Just a thought. Good movie, by the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how wrong we usually are in thinking about what matters in life

especially when you're making life-turning decisions for three people -- its a daily struggle to convince myself that i made that choice because that was what really mattered, even if ... :(

hehe. angst mo nga pala tong pinaguusapan :P

isa lang sagot dyan. wag mo na uli panoorin yung Cars :P

Unknown said...

*sigh*

We can never see past the choices we don't understand.

Whatever that means. Wag na rin manood ng Matrix sequels