Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Mi-a-mi, screeeeeeeeeeeam!

For me this NBA season felt anti-climactic, or at least had a muted NBA finals. Almost literally, that is. I only knew what happened in the finals because of the muted CNN recap showing in our office. Basically, everything else in Singapore has World Cup 2006 fever.

Anyway, from the muted newsbits that I saw, it seems like D-Wade almost willed them to the championship, after being down 0-2. He deserves it. He really is a superstar. It's a good thing also that he got it this early. The beating he takes everytime he drives hard to the basket will probably take its toll in 2 or 3 years time. So good for him. And Shaq too. I think he better go before he embarrasses himself in the next season. Well, maybe one more season for him. After he's the self-proclaimed "most dominant player ever". True enough, he's still a presence in the middle. Also good for Zo Mourning, who came out of kidney surgery to give it another go in Miami. And also, Gary Payton, who's been selling his soul everywhere just to get a championship ring. Bold predictions? I don't think Miami will repeat next season.

I had Dallas picked to win the series. How could have I gone wrong? For starters, Dirk Nowitzki shoots the lights out everytime he shows up. A seven-foot guy who shoots like Larry Bird? Wow, gotta have one of those in your team. A pretty solid bench. Anyway, it resulted into a great regular season. But then that doesn't get you the ring.

It's been a great season with lots of drama and highlights. And like every year, I can't wait for next season.

--

As for me, I'm still finding a more permanent place to live in. I've been doing a lot of apartment viewings as you may know and will continue to do more until I've found "the right one".

Yesterday, we had a viewing in Simsville. Funny name, for obvious reasons (or just let that reference pass by over your head).

The apartment was OK except for the common/guest room which had this monstrous playhouse thing going on. So no go for this one. Blech. Probably had soiled mattresses too.

--

If everything goes well, I''ll be flying home on June 30 and will be there until July 10. Hope I'm still welcome here in Singapore. It's a nice little place they got here.

No comments: