Tuesday, February 13, 2007

It's That Time of the Year

Tax time!

I've just been handed a blank tax form to be filled up in the near future. They don't withhold taxes here like they do back home; they give you the entire thing to spend away. Good thing I set money aside every month for taxes and miscellaneous expenses. Aaand, I'm planning on paying for last year's taxes on installment throughout this year through auto-debit (GIRO). It's a considerable ease on finances.

--

I'm getting to like Indian food a lot. It's very much like Filipino dishes (served with rice and all). Roti Prata/Naan breads dipped in curry, the spicier, the better. In Manila, I've only really tasted Indian food in Queen's Crystal Garden Restaurant. Paneer, Tandoori, Samosa...

--
IMG_6313

Chinatown is busy this time of the year, in preparation for Chinese New Year (CNY) celebrations. People are hawking abalone, dried food, candies and selling Hong Bao ("ang paw" in Hokkien) envelopes. I've heard that Singapore stores and restaurants will generally be closed during the time, February 16-20. So if you're planning on visiting Singapore that time of the year. You might not get to do much in the city-state.

--

Sometimes, rummaging through sale racks and bins, you find some gems that not a lot of people care about. For example, in one of the shopping centres in Chinatown, I got myself a copy of Birth of A Nation for a good $5 (P150.00). It's a really old (1915) movie regarded as a pioneer in the industry, paving the way for beyond-an-hour long pictures. I'm no movie expert, but I never pass up on a chance to watch a classic, even if it's just to see what the fuss is all about. Yeah, I'm a poser.

I'll view it during one of my lonely laundry days.

--

One of the rare finds I found in London was this Japanese movie, Battle Royale, which I only was able to watch recently. It has very highly illogical, insane, yet fascinating premise. It involves Japanese schoolgirls, guns, and violence galore. It's also got Chiaki Kuriyama, more known worldwide as Go-Go Yubari in Kill Bill. What more do you want? (Oh yeah, sex. Well it depends. The film doesn't really need it.)

--

Tried out kickboxing with a free intro course. Interesting but expensive at $20 (P600.00) per class. And you're supposed to take four or eight in a month. I'll stick to the free workouts for a while.

--

And so while Singapore sleeps over the Chinese New Year. A couple of friends and I are headed towards Bintan, Indonesia. A nice coastal resort-town some forty-five minutes away by ferry. Time to take out and test the ol' waterproof case that hasn't been used since Fontana last year. I just hope it still works and my camera doesn't get wet... and broken...and I won't have to replace it...with maybe a DSLR...during March IT Show...if ever I'll have money to buy...which I won't have...Nope...I don't need it...don't spend...don't spend...Nnngh!

--

I've finished reading High Fidelity. (Hey, I'm on a roll on reading books!) I like it a lot and I can't wait until I get my hands on a DVD copy of the movie. The ending is not for me though, not at this point in my life. Nonetheless, go read this one, if you haven't.

--

And now, what should I read next? Anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ey! ok nga indian food... i like roti/naan. have you tried the Buttered Chicken? yun fave ko.. with roti! yum yum!!

Unknown said...

Mutton, chicken, veggies ... all sound good! :9

Pag bumisita kayo rito, food trip tayo :9

Traveller said...

hehe. would you believe there's a battle royale 2? maganda pala high fidelity? haha. haven't even finished good omens yet and ive been reading it for 3 months now! ano? inuman na!

Unknown said...

I know Battle Royale 2 but I don't know if I want to watch it :P

Tara, inuman! Iced tea lang ako :P