Friday, July 01, 2005

Home Cable Channel Reorganization

Here's what I really don't get: why cable providers keep shuffling the channels every once in a while. I'm not an engineer so I don't know if it matters which channel a signal is broadcasting in. I remember there was this hoopla about GMA channel 7 having a disrupted signal, and they blame it on the Lopez-owned cable companies SkyCable and Home Cable (Lopez Group also owns ABS-CBN, a fierce GMA 7 competitor, in case you didn't know). To those complaining: stop using cable splitters!

Anyway, my dad has this big problem with his Japanese-made TV that doesn't go above channel 40. Most of the entertainment channels are in the 40s-50s channel. I guess he'll have to use a cable box or a VCR. The only problem I encountered with this setup is that all channels are in mono.

So for Home Cable, Studio 23 is at channel 17, HBO at 54,.... They even added the Star Mandarin somewhere in the 60s channel. There's also a Disney Mandarin Channel in case you want to hear Buzz Lightyear talk in Mandarin. I wish they bring back the E! Channel, or at least The Late Show with David Letterman. Leno, and Conan broadcast late, and Leno isn't even really funny anymore, except for the Headlines segment. But they do have top-notch guests and bands.

I know that Sky and Home Cable are used by their owners to jack up cable subscription prices. They raise prices by making less channels available to subscribers at the same rate. If they want to, they can "premium-ize" a channel by making it available to the more expensive Sky Cable only. This is exactly what happened with Disney Channel and Discovery Channel, among others. I hope they don't do this for Solar Sports, ETC.

Yet another reason to wake up in the morning: Mariel Rodriguez of Breakfast ...Supersize (groan, why did they have to add that), who looks like a young Dina Bonnevie.

No comments: