Sunday, March 19, 2006

H for Handouts

Can you believe this? I'm 26 years old, blood pressure of 140/90, almost five years out of school and into professional life and yet I just received a thousand pesos from one of my tita's from the U.S. ala aguinaldo galing sa ninang. It's quite embarrassing really but then I refused at first. Anyway, she wanted to give me something so I had to reluctantly accept it.

I probably am contradicting myself regarding receiving freebies and money from relatives. Right before my Hong Kong trip, I talked about almost getting some pocket money from my grandfather. The difference of course is that I don't really need money right now. To confuse you even further, I actually do really need some money right now.

Assuming you didn't click-away to other webpages because of my nonsensical ramblings, what I really wanted to say was this. You lose some amount of pride when somebody gives you money, even as a gift, especially if you didn't ask for it, or didn't expect it. Some people my age already have their own families, living on their own, paying for their housing loans, putting their kids to school. Here I am, still living the single life, quite uncertain of a lot of things (hence the blog title), living in times of uncertainty. Currently burning out from work (which I dare not discuss in this blog. Some other time, I promise), and health may be declining. Money may be the least of my problems.

--

V for Vendetta

Watched V for Vendetta this weekend at Greenbelt 3. As with most comic book adaptations, the comic books have much more intricate details in the story and are rarely as simplistic as their 2-hour screen counterparts. This movie is no exception. For those who liked the film, go pick up the 900-something peso copy. Or you can borrow a copy from me, as long as you promise to put plastic cover on it :P It's getting pretty respectable reviews and rating so far (around 60-70% from Rottentomatoes). I think the reason and the message of the movie is much more socially relevant today all over the world. "Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither." I hope I got the quote right. Anyway, I'm quite surprised it hasn't received much attention especially in it's admittedly terroristic methods of dealing with oppression. It isn't a black and white issue, apparently, in a Fight Club sort of way. But go read the comic book. It's much richer.

1 comment:

barookie said...

hehehe! i know the feeling! though im not that hesistant to accept it if its a birthday gift. hehehe!

whenever its out of the blue, it does make it a bit akward or it makes me hesistate as well.