Monday, February 06, 2006

Money Matters

Wow, the Philippine Peso is rising fast, already well within 51 PHP to 1 USD. They say it might breach into the 40s by the end of the year. Of course, we can't predict when the momentum will stop. We pray it shouldn't so that the imported goods will get cheaper (basic commodities such as Subway, Mrs. Fields, Baskin Robbins, Auntie Anne's and maybe Beard Papa). I don't know if this will actually happen, but it's nice to hope for the best.

Anyway, any Economics 102 student should be able to tell that it's really the Purchasing Power that's important, as far as daily lives are concerned. It's about how much you can buy with the money you have. Funny how the government proudly pats itself in the back when the peso strengthens, and downplays the occurrence when it weakens. Ok, so it's not even funny at all.

The timing of the strengthening peso couldn't be any better for me since I'm going on an international trip this weekend. Could it merely be a coincidence or is there a conspiracy? Oh wait, scratch that one.

My grandfather went to Manila for a hospital check up again. It's getting a bit harder and harder to talk to him since his hearing isn't as good as before. I told him that my mom and I were going to Hong Kong this weekend. I guess he was happy for me, he was asking if I had any dollars. Honestly, I'd really like for him to give me some money. Not the prodigal son type of money, just some "loose change". I mean, what's he going to do with it just sitting in the bank?

He asked the same question to my mom, who I'm going with on the trip. She gave the "there's nothing to worry, we're all fine" answer. Well, that's my mom for you. One minute she's complaining about how expensive this trip is going to be, and then the next, it's "no problem". Sigh. I understand it's all so that my grandfather shouldn't have to shell out some money for us. But he offered! That means it's OK, isn't it? (Comments, anyone?)

Nonetheless, I'm intent on bringing quite a lot of money for this trip that, so far, will just be the second time in sixteen years. I'm afraid that I might go crazy with spending; but I don't know if I'll regret it later on if I hold back.

2 comments:

barookie said...

how do you think i feel knowing that the peso is getting stronger just when i plan to go back to pay for a wedding! =)

Unknown said...

Well, you win some, you lose some. 'kaw yung economist eh, dapat alam mo kung ano gagawin. Ako, just going with the flow. Hehehe