Monday, August 14, 2006

The Awful Tooth

How's this for recreation? Our boss just invited us to shoot clay pigeons one of these days. It ought to be one hell of an experience. The last time I held a gun was at Villamor Airbase for that ROTC shooting Sunday. I didn't think I hit the target because the recoil really hurts the shoulders (and our dunderhead of a commanding officer made us do pushups the day before). That was with a light M16 rifle. This time, with a 12-gauge shotgun, I'm determined to get at least one target.

Funny guy, our boss. He sent an Outlook invitation email that had you vote for your selection with these choices:

"No, I'd rather not do that sort of thing" and "Yes, I want to kill things"

--

And speaking of work, we learned today about our temporary move to Tai Seng Avenue. This place is waaaaaay out of easy commute. So we're looking at getting taxi allowance as well as meal allowances because of the sudden change. This'll happen late next week. We'll be there for two months then we'll be back at the sweet confines of The Atrium@Orchard, right in the heart of Singapore.

--

Today was also the day I went to the dentist. After doing some cleaning and X-rays, she explained to me how much work needs to be done. And I heard the two sweetest words of the English Language: ROOT CANAL. Times TWO! Yep, too bad most of you won't be anywhere near to hear me shriek like a girl. A couple of extractions need to be done as well. Most of it is covered by my lovely dental plan. The dentist also suggested that I get tooth-coloured fillings, which cost and arm and a leg (yes, even for a guy who can afford a plasma TV and a laptop). Anyway, I'm going for all of it. I've never really taken care of myself like this before. Might as well go all the way. Leave a beautiful corpse, that sort of thing.

Curiously, one of my lola's, the second eldest among siblings who's probably never gone to the dentist, still has her teeth intact (although not perfect) at NINETY YEARS OLD. It probably helps that she's a nun and she probably fasts a lot. Good ol' Lola Madre.

No comments: