Monday, May 14, 2007

In Return


I got a letter today from Singapore's Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), informing me that I am eligible to apply for permanent residence (PR or SPR) status.

I've been thinking about this since before I came here. And this is what I cooked up so far:

Pros:
  • Central Provident Fund (pension plan)
  • No need to be employed to stay in the country (no need for work passes or visas)
  • Able to set up business
  • Fewer restrictions on purchasing property
  • etc, etc...
Cons:
  • National Service Liability (male children of PR will have to take part in National Service from age 16 to 40(!))
  • Tropical, humid weather 365 days a year
  • Cable TV is boring
  • Cost of living is rising
  • etc, etc...
What do you think?

--

Also, I've received my tax assessment for the year 2006. It's oh, oh, oh-so-low compared to other countries I've heard of. Philippines and India hovers to 30%, UK and Canada around 40%. In Singapore? Let's just say that they are fewer digits in the percentage, depending of course on the tax bracket.

--

I honestly don't know how long I plan to stay here, or if it's for good. Anyway, I don't have to decide yet. But the sooner the better. I kind of hate plans as of now.

No comments: