Friday, June 24, 2005

Friday, June 24

Lots of things happening today:

NBA Finals Game 7! Only the 16th Finals Game 7 in NBA History. It's the Spurs versus the Pistons!

Sorry to say that for me, it's still not really a must-see game. Though I respect both teams and their players (except for Ben Wallace who I blame for the November brawl, putting to shame my lucky number, #3), I just don't have any "emotional attachment" to the game, or the series. This, despite the see-saw battles of Games 1 to 4, that culminated into another Big Shot Rob game, Game 5. Heck, even after that, I didn't really care to see Game 6. Now if it had been the Lakers, Warriors (a stretch), Suns, Heat or the Cavs, I'd watch each and every game. I guess it's the star power involved or the high-intensity playing style. Even if Spurs have Duncan, Ginobili, Parker (and by association, Eva Longoria), and the Pistons have (Rip, Ben, Chauncey, Tayshaun), they're no Kobe, J-Rich, Nash, Shaq, Wade or LeBron. I guess what I want to say is that Spurs and Pistons are too textbook for our short attention span.


Eva invites you to come watch Game 7. You can watch the basketball part too.


Nonetheless, by noon (Manila time), the NBA will have a champion. There is a new labor deal, which means that there won't be a lockout. On to next season.

--

It's San Juan Day, and Manila Day.

It has been a tradition for San Juan residents to splash (and I do mean splash) passers-by, pedestrians, vehicles with open windows with water in celebration of the Feast of San Juan. Some people can take a joke, some people can't. I hope the residents realize that there is a point where splashing someone going to work in full business attire becomes offensive. Good thing, I always have the windows in my car rolled up.

--

Later we'll be watching Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I read the book and found it amusing but I don't know how they can translate the wit to the movie screen. I read that many critics find it so-so. I guess I'll find out later. We'll probably be in the Promenade Theatre in Greenhills in (gulp), San Juan.

--

If you haven't seen Batman Begins, go see it!

No comments: