Sunday, September 11, 2005

V for Vendetta

Every once in a while, I treat myself by reliving the old habit of buying ... comics! Or, ahem, graphic novels. Last week, I bought myself a copy of V for Vendetta from Sketchbooks in Greenbelt 3. I read this before, borrowing a copy from Ramon, way back in high school, I think. Very dark. Here's what the Amazon summary says:
A frightening and powerful story of the loss of freedom and identity in a totalitarian world, V for Vendetta takes place in an alternate future in which Germany wins WWII and Britain becomes a fascist state. A vigilante named "V" stalks the streets of London trying to free England of its ideological chains.
Next year, they'll be releasing a movie version starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving. Alan Moore, the writer of the novel has disowned the movie version so we can't be too sure of the narrative quality since the guys in suits are in charge, or at least the Wachowski Brothers (of The Matrix fame) are.

V's mask, seen on the cover, has Guy Fawkes face. You can pretend you know that name by reading this Wikipedia article.

No comments: