Tuesday, December 06, 2005

New Toy

As you may have figured out by now (or not), I got myself a new camera for my birthday. It's the Canon PowerShot S80. It started when the family teased my mom about her jurassic film-based camera. I jokingly suggested that she buy my camera, an IXUS 330, all in, then i'll just buy a new one for myself. Turns out, my dad took the offer seriously and brought me a Canon leaflet a few days later containing the specs and prices of the latest Canon cameras. He told me the terms of the payment and I told him I'd research it first.

Canon for me is a trusted name in digital cameras. It produces good quality pictures and has great add-on accessories. Plus, the camera designs always looks spiffy.

At first, I was looking to choose the IXUS 750 (SD550), which costs P32,950 Suggested Retail Price. It's quite similar to my old one, power and portability. It easily fits my pocket which makes it easier to carry around. I read the review and it says out that it's a great compact camera. On the other side of the leaflet are the Powershot S2 IS, the A-series, and the camera I eventually chose, the Powershot S80. I figured out that as long as I am spending for a camera, I might as well go the distance. The Powershot S80 is indeed bulkier, and very hard to fit into the pockets, but then again the features won me over. It has more features, it has wide-angled lenses, the controls are a lot more customizable, the response time is excellent, and it has settings for various situations (like fireworks, underwater, snow(?), foliage, kids and pets for action shots). Best of all, I can use my 512MB Multimedia Card (MMC) that I got from Singapore (for my Nokia 6230) as memory for the camera. So adding P3000.00 more, I get an excellent camera that I hope will last me 5 years.

Check out if I have something new in my flickr page.

No comments: