Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Game. Set. Match.

I'm really excited for the trip. I'm also proud that I did all the booking and reservations and figured out the transportation. Thank God for the Internet. I also did the itinerary for our three-day stay (including where to hear mass on Sunday), and I just hope all goes well.

I also had international roaming activated, which means I can use my mobile phone in HK. Extra charges apply.

It's taking a considerable amount of savings to make this trip as enjoyable as I wish it would be. Then again, I rarely travel and experience foreign cultures. Almost literally, I'm going for broke!

Except for the stuff I'm packing and wearing going there. I'm all set!

--

It's basketball season again in the office. I'm fortunate enough to be playing with talented people. This means I can almost get away playing "fun ball" instead of "serious ball". Take for example our first game.

I hoisted 14 shots, but making only three. That makes for a terrible shooting percentage of around 21%. For all of you not so familiar with basketball, for 2-pt shots, around 45-50% is good, and for 3-pt shots, 40-45% is good. Anyway, I scored eight points, making 2-for-5 from beyond the arc (see, it's good!). My career average playing in these sportsfests is around 6-8 pts per game, so it's pretty normal for me.

For the second game, which was a few hours ago, as of this writing, I think I attempted less shots, finishing with 7pts. I still hauled a few bonehead shots which I'm not really proud of. But I'm glad that we still got the win, with me chipping in with whatever I can contribute.

The real key to winning (and I don't think anyone can stress this enough) is teamwork. It has been proven that talent alone, or playing 1-on-1, or 1-on-5 won't necessarily win games in any level of basketball. There should be proper spacing, setting picks, boxing out, and dishing to the open man. Of course, making shots is what really wins games. Teamwork is just so that the best shot available is taken. Also important is knowing your role in the team.

2 comments:

barookie said...

enjoy your trip!

thats something i miss, playing in a league! its really different once its a structured contest.

abi said...

galing ng team niyo!! ^_^ ehehhe.. partida, d ka pa naka eyeglasses.. ehehhe