Sunday, November 05, 2006

Jagshemash!

I watched Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan last night, a film notoriously known for its offensive comedy. Most of the time, it works. I was laughing like crazy throughout the film. Here in London, I get to watch a couple of episodes of Da Ali G show which includes segments of Borat. Sacha Baron Cohen, of course, is my new current favorite comedian following his performance as Jean Girard in Talladega Nights. Have a go at Borat. Chances are you'll have a great time laughing and unable to look away, even when you should. Mark my words.

--

I've done almost all of the items in my to-do list. Rode the London Eye (even if I lament the fact that I should have ridden when the skies were clearer). Watched Avenue Q and Spam-a-lot. Borat was a London Film Festival Film, so that counts. Went out of London, to Bicester. Currently still taking account of all my meal expenses.

Tomorrow, is the fifth of November, Guy Fawkes Night. In honor of the foiling of the plot to blow up the house of Parliament. There are already some residents here trying out their fireworks for tomorrow. There isn't really any one celebration. Just a few scattered drinking and lighting up fireworks parties here and there. I probably can get a good view from going to some park.

--
IMG_4832

I went to Camden Town today and walked the entire length of Camden High St and Chalk Farm road. A lot of stores selling clothes in various markets, it reminds me of Greenhills and its various tiangge stalls. Camden, I learned, used to be the place where the hippest fashions are created. Or word to that extent. Anyway, I didn't find anything clever enough which was worth buying (since it's expensive even here, £12 for a shirt, or 2 for £20). And I was briefly reminded of how, even in Singapore, there were a lot of clothes I wanted to buy. The problem was that I'd rarely get the chance to wear them. Now if they were nice office clothes...

IMG_4876

I also walked from Tottenham Court Station to Oxford Circus, traversing Oxford St. A stretch comparable to Singapore's own Orchard Road in number of commercial and retail establishments. Walked inside Marks and Spencer and bought a beanie and a pair of thermal long johns. Again, I stopped myself from overspending. Especially on autumn/winter wear.

After the little stroll along Oxford, I went to the National Gallery and even witnessed an environmentalist/political rally right on Trafalgar Square. Inside the National Gallery, I viewed works of Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Picasso, Renoir and various others. I particularly noted the works of Canaletto, whose pieces on Venice had remarkable detail on Venetian architecture.

IMG_4939


I walked from Charing(!) Cross to Westminster Station and took a chance on catching the right riverboat schedule. True enough, I was right on time. I took the river cruise from Westminster Pier to Tower Millenium Pier. It cost six quid, one way. DLR-ed my way to Canary Wharf, ate at Chili's in Cabot Square, then walked home and applied ointment to my legs and feet.

--

Next weekend will mark my final weekend in the United Kingdom for this trip. I fly out the weeked after that. Better make the most of it.

4 comments:

drei said...

so maganda nga ang borat. sabi nga offensive, pero the audience loved it. number one sa box office, plus kasama na sa best films of all time sa imdb. :)

waaah na experience mo ang remember, remember, the fifth of november, in UK mismo!!

Unknown said...

Well, it's too early to tell if best films of all time siya.

5th of November dito is underwhelming, and probably because I had nowhere to go to watch fireworks and go drinking. Ang lamig kasi sa labas! And the fireworks were passe.

Anonymous said...

sige fine, panoorin ko na ang borat, convinced na si drei, pati ang pajiba hehe.

Unknown said...

I'm-a Borat. I like seex. It's niiiice!