Monday, November 06, 2006

Small Steps

IMG_4978


I managed to catch the Game On Exhibition in the Science Museum in South Kensington. This exhibit focuses on the history of video games. I'd say 90% of the people who shelled out £8.50 (adults, at least) weren't so much interested in the history, as opposed to playing the demo units, hands-on. I was able to take a trip down memory lane with the Donkey Kong arcade game, Atari 2600's Pitfall and Indy 500. There's also Prince of Persia, various Sonic and Mario games, Dance Dance Revolution, The Sims, and scores of handheld games. I did two matches of Street Fighter II Turbo Edition with some other guy. Naturally, I creamed his E. Honda with my Blanka, and later, his Ryu with my Ken. I rule!

IMG_5023


After I visited the area taking pictures of Victoria and Albert Hall and the Natural History Museum, I went straight to Covent Garden. After watching a couple of street performers, I headed for the majestic St. Paul's Cathedral.

IMG_5071


I was only able to look inside for a short while, as Sunday mass was being held. (No taking of photos allowed, unfortunately). Then I walked towards Bank and the 'Gherkin' at 30 St. Mary Axe.

Finally, I went up Monument, which is a memorial to the Great Fire of London in 1666. I went up the viewing deck, climbing 311 steps (and going down the same 311 steps).

IMG_5159


I took this picture inside, going up the steps. Right before leaving, I was handed a certificate, saying that I was able to climb three hundred and eleven steps up the monument. Priceless and well-deserved.

No comments: