Sunday, November 19, 2006

Lon-done!

It's 4:28 PM GMT, Saturday. I've checked out of the apartment and I'm just surfing (if the network allows me to) until the shuttle picks me up at 7 and brings me to London-Heathrow Airport, terminal 4.

It was a very productive last day for me. I set the alarm for 7:30 AM and snoozed until 8. Did my last attempt at packing after I took a bath. Checked out early, left my baggage and set out to the last pasyal I'm going to make.

That last trip started from this apartment to Columbia Courtyard to Cabot Square, Canary Wharf Station then rode my last Tube ride to Westminster Station. Once I alighted from the station, I found that it was a very bright and sunny day, in contrast with the wet and windy night before. Walked from Parliament Hall to Westminster Bridge (where I got extorted for £5 "for the children") to the London Eye to Charing Cross Bridge to Victoria Garden, then back to Parliament Hall. I noted the time the Royal Thames River Services departs for Greenwich (12:45PM). Since I had an hour to spare, I walked to Westminster Abbey (saw the long line going in) and took pictures from outside and walked back to Westminster Pier where I boarded the River Cruise boat. After waiting for about three-quarters of an hour, we were ready to go. The commentary the captain did on the cruise was very funny, and he just kept going and going about the factoids and the funny aspects of the sights of River Thames. About half a kilometer past Tower Bridge, he ended his commentary since there was nothing else to see until we get to Canary Wharf and Greenwich.

Once we docked, I got off the boat and looked for some place to eat lunch, and I chanced upon this small restaurant serving roast beef. The reason for that is that I was freezing my ass off already with just my normal clothes and a jacket. I brought this upon myself, I wanted to savor the cold. After lunch, I took one last stroll on Greenwich Park and took pictures of the autumn landscape. I didn't go up the hill anymore to the Royal Observatory since, again, I was numb from the cold. My little Greenwich trek ended with a DLR ride back to Canary Wharf Station. I headed underground to Cabot Place and went up to ground level where the ice skating rink in Canada Place Park is. Took some uninteresting pictures then finally went "home" back to Circus Apartments. It was around four in the evening. Yes, that's right, the sun began to set minutes before. Well, that's the temperate zone for you.

So now, I'm bumming around, ready to go, waiting for my shuttle with my intermittent wifi connection, drafting this blog post on notepad. If you're reading this, then I successfully found an opening with this crappy Internet service.

Next stop: Singapore!

No comments: