Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Gillette Metro Basketball League 2005 Vector Cup

My basketball-loving company has joined the Gillette Metro Basektball League (MBL) which is an extension to the Ateneo Basketball League (ABL). We are in the corporate division (Ortigas Bracket); but it's not as if top management has sent us on a crusade to win the championship for the glory of the company. We're actually doing this for kicks (maybe a bit of an oversimplification), and we had to tell them because we're using the name (and also trying to solicit for new basketball uniforms). I hope the talent is enough to go far into the tournament. It'd be cool if we won it all.

Anyway, first game is tomorrow, versus 7-Eleven. Here's our eliminations schedule:

 DateTimeVenueJersey Opponent
Game 1Wednesday, August 317:00 PMClub 650Dark7-Eleven
Game 2Saturday, September 35:30 PMClub 650WhiteEmerson
Game 3Wednesday, September 79:00 PMClub 650DarkNU3 Foods
Game 4Saturday, September 175:30 to 8:30 PMAcropolis --
Game 5Saturday, September 245:30 to 8:30 PMAcropolis--
SemisThursday, September 298:30 PMMeralco--
SemisSaturday, October 15:30 PMAcropolis--
FinalsSaturday, October 85:30 PMAcropolis--


Games 4 and 5 are matches against the other bracket (Makati offices), which are also determined by the rankings.

Unfortunately for me, I am far from 100%. Yesterday, I got kneed in the thigh. hopefully, it'll have been completely healed by next week. A few months ago, I'm not sure, but I may have broken my right heel bone. I better have it X-rayed for sure.

My Personal Basketball History

I started playing basketball in grade 3, when the courts first became available to my grade level (grade 2 students only had that big soccer field that wasn't really a soccer field. It was more of grass and dirt field). We also had this board and ring nailed in front of the house over the garage. The floor was inclined so I don't know what that did to my skills. When there were no cars at home, I'd shoot from as far as possible with a small ball (maybe six inches in diameter). I guess that how I took a liking to shooting long-distance. Of course at the time, the official ball was too heavy for me to shoot in the official height and distance. Anyway, I was one of those kids who was there just to complete the team, a fifth option, if at all an option. Looking back, I was better at blocking shots considering my height. I had good timing especially when opponents use two hands to shoot (which usually means, they shoot from the chest or on top of their heads, and not jumping at all).

(to be continued...)

2 comments:

missyosigirl said...

did you win against 7-11? :D

Unknown said...

Yep, in triple-overtime! What a first game!

Next one is this Saturday, versus Emerson. 5:30 PM at Club Six Fifty.