Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lapit Mga Kaibigan At Ma-kinig Kayo...

I just sent a formal acceptance letter to my future employer in Singapore. It's been a looooong tiiime coming. And now it's here.

Well, not yet, really. I still have to fix some papers, do yet another medical test (third time's a charm), and play the waiting game again. This time, it's for the approval of my employment pass.

In the next few days, some people will contact me regarding the shipment of my personal effects to the city-state. I am a bit reluctant to bring over all of my DVDs (all original, of course) as Singapore's Media Development Authority is quite sensitive about the material it may contain. So I better clear that up with the people responsible for shipping. I'd hate to leave seven seasons of The Simpsons on DVD just sitting here at home. Band of Brothers, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine seasons 5-7, Three Colors Trilogy, Monty Python films, Requiem for a Dream, Airplane, Top Secret!, The Big Lebowski... Sigh. Some books and music CDs may also be questionable, but I don't know the exact policies regarding that. Anyway, I'd be shipping mostly clothes, shoes, and accessories. They're probably expecting some people to ship over some furniture and appliances, but not me. Hmm, maybe I should have some pillows and blankets shipped, or even one of those infomercial air matresses, in case of emergencies (or for visiting friends and relatives).

--

The biggest problem of course, is that with twenty-six years of pampered living with parents, I don't know the first thing about living alone, much less living in another country (not to mention, a country I've never been to before). There's budgeting, looking for your own food, doing the dishes, doing your laundry (and ironing), paying rent and utilities, keeping the house clean AND most importantly, coping with the fact the you need to concern yourself with such things. But it's all a learning experience.

Boy, The Sims barely covers half of those I mentioned. The real thing is probably less hillarious too.

--

Any help of course is very much appreciated (except from my mom who insists on going with me while I adjust. No way.) As it stands, I still have until the end of May to prepare for my new life. I'm flying out in June if all goes well. I'm nervous and excited.

--

I'm sure to fly back in July for Noel's wedding. I asked for a week off before July 8, and I think they took it quite well ("No problem" was the response. No, I didn't hear them add "and don't bother coming back".) I also plan to fly back every now and then, if time and money permit. The worst case is that I spend at most, just a weekend for each of my trips back home or wherever. I hope it doesn't turn out that bad.

--

Wow, June already. Just in time for The Great Singapore Sale! Woohoo!

8 comments:

Nes said...

Haha, help is on the way, I'll follow as soon as I receive all my papers and render my last 30 days in Accenture. Just prepare the place, I can help with the basics.

Anonymous said...

wow. mag s sing kayong dalawa. ang saya saya naman.

Anonymous said...

congrats ton! :D

good luck with "living alone" ehehehhe. sweet naman ng mommy mo, nag-offer na tulungan ka mag-adjust :)

mag-email ako ng shopping list ha for the singapore sale tapos dalhin mo pagbalik mo sa july. :P

Unknown said...

cobs, sakto talaga. good timing! pero parang gusto ko nga magpaship ng appliances galing dito.

j_ig, tara, magtayo tayo ng bandera dun!

missyosigirl, kaya nga ako pupunta roon, para makalaya na sa nanay ko, hehehe. sige, mag-email ka lang ng shopping list, pero ibebenta ko sa 'yo at regular price :P baka nga pala magkita kami roon ni Japanese Malen. pupunta raw silang magbabarkada roon para gumastos ng yen, hehe.

barookie said...

yeah, it will be a huge adjustment. if you need any advice feel free to ask. oh, and i'll introduce you to my friend and aunt who live there as well.

im sure they would be more than willing to help you out in any way.

Unknown said...

Turns out people here know a lot of people in Singapore. Sure, introduce me to all these people! And drop by also if you can! Hehe

Anonymous said...

hehe the world of living alone. It si a big change from the everyday life BUT you get used to it and it does have its perks hehe God Bless Ton!! Safe Trip!!

Unknown said...

Hey, Mar! I feel that I am ready to make the change. Wish me luck!