Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Ateneo Alumni Visa Credit Card

A few weeks ago, someone from the Ateneo Alumni Association office called to ask if I'm interested in getting a credit card. I already have a Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) Edge Mastercard, and my Equitable Visa Electron but I was planning to get a Visa credit card. Hong Kong Savings (HSBC) did call me and I tried to sign up for the Mabuhay Miles Visa but that was months ago and I don't know what became of that. So for weeks I was thinking of getting a Citibank Visa. Good timing for the alumni office.

I let the representative talk her guts out over the phone how a percentage of the annual fee goes to Ateneo scholars, how it's pre-approved and that they don't need any documents or requirements from me. So I did sign up for one. Two birds in one stone: something good for the alma mater, and financial flexibility for me.

My card arrived a few days ago containing my plain-looking Ateneo Alumni Unionbank Credit Card. The design is more simplistic than simple. I don't really like the look. I didn't even give an authorization letter to the one that received it at home but they gave it anyway (although, I still have to have it activated). Maybe they figured out that I'm still the same guy that lived in that house and went to Ateneo for 16 long years. No loyalty award for me, though. I guess the school doesn't go for that thing. Weirdly enough, the spam that comes with the credit card is all about life insurance, unlike the BPI, which is full of perks, 0% interest on installment and various other discounts. The card also comes with a list of establishments that I can get discounts from. Unimpressive lineup, though, and the Visa Gourmet Perks promo ended last March.

One good advantage of my Alumni card is that I can pay for it over my Equitable ATM.

Why do I need so many credit cards? I don't exactly need them, but having them around and occasionally using them will be good for my credit history. It's good for me to get used to managing my finances. Also, for emergencies.

From time to time, I read up on credit card stuff like this MSN Money article on "How many credit cards is too many?"

The website's full of useful articles like that but I don't know if it applies to our country and culture. We're not exactly a consumer economy like the US.

No comments: