Monday, October 24, 2005

Podcast: ABC's Lost - The Transmission

I tried podcasting today though I didn't really subscribe to the feed, I just downloaded some episodes. For those who're to lazy to click the Wikipedia link (sigh),
Podcasting is a method of publishing audio and video programs via the Internet that lets users subscribe to a feed of new files (usually MP3s). It became popular in late 2004, largely due to automatic downloading of audio onto portable players or personal computers.
As I mentioned before, I've been following the second season of Lost (cause we just can't wait!) even before it's shown on local or cable TV here. There's a popular podcast related to the show called The Transmission, hosted by Ryan and Jen. They're two Hawaiian locals (since the show is being shot in Hawaii) who keep saying that they're amateur broadcasters, and it shows. Basically, they recap the show, put in their observations, respond to listener feedback, and discuss what's in store in future Lost episodes. So this podcasting works just like a radio show, with one important advantage: you can listen to it anytime, anywhere, as long as you can play the mp3 file. I can see how this works perfectly with the iPod, and with a device like the iTrip, you can play it in the car while driving. We consumers always like to have choices. The podcast selection is pretty wide, ranging from Kids Disney podcasts to Sports to Travel.

Sigh, if I do get hooked, I may need a high-speed Internet connection to download the podcasts. Dial-up just won't do for two-digit megabyte files. An iPod would be nice too (here I go again).

No comments: